Gluten-free pear & banana loaf

DSC_4834-1

I’m pretty excited for today. It’s the first day of the annual Toronto Vegetarian Food Festival, and I’m just about to head down to Harbourfront to check out all the new products, eat delicious food and catch up with friends. Thankfully it’s a beautiful day in the city—the sun is shining and everyone is out and about for the weekend.

If you’re in town, be sure to stop by and check out the festivities. We’ve got some amazing speakers and demos lined up, including Roberto Martin, Allyson Kramer, Michael Greger and Heather Nicholds, just to name a few, as well as a Q&A with the director of The Ghosts In Our Machine (an incredible documentary, if you haven’t seen it yet).

DSC_4837-1

This doesn’t have anything at all to do with this pear and banana loaf, but I have been up to my elbows in pears this week. You see, I came home with a huge bag of cute little Forelle pears from a colleague’s tree, and so far I’ve made a pear crousade, a fall-inspired crumble and this amazing loaf. Yep, I’ve been a busy girl.

DSC_4850-1

As you’ll see from the ingredients list, this loaf is humble yet wholesome. It is bursting with fruit flavours and chunks of soft pears, and also makes use of one of my favourite gluten-free flour combinations: chickpea, oat and almond. Oh, and it’s oil-free, too.

I paired the loaf slices with some homemade blueberry jam, the recipe of which will appear in Dreena Burton’s next cookbook. I get the pleasure of working with Dreena once again and have been busy photographing all the recipes for this new book (and from what I’ve seen so far, I think it’s going to be another masterpiece!). To find out about her family-friendly recipes, check out my review of her latest ebook.

Enjoy!

[cft format=0]

14 Responses to “Gluten-free pear & banana loaf”

1. Heathy — September 6, 2013 @ 5:19 pm

Yumm this looks so good Nicole! Wish I could be there for the festival!!!

• Nicole replied: — September 9th, 2013 @ 7:12 pm

Thanks, Heathy! Wish you could have been here too. Maybe next year? :)

2. Cadry — September 7, 2013 @ 9:52 am

I’ve been looking for something gluten-free to share at a picnic next week. This is just the thing! The bread looks so moist and light. I love the idea of biting into sweet chunks of pear in it.

• Nicole replied: — September 9th, 2013 @ 7:13 pm

Thanks so much, Cadry! Hope you enjoy it :)

3. The Peace Patch — September 8, 2013 @ 7:47 pm

Perfect combination with blueberry jam! I always look forward to pear season because I love them (especially Comice), and they inspire me for the start of baking season. Thanks for the recipe!

• Nicole replied: — September 9th, 2013 @ 7:14 pm

I always look forward to pear season too. They’re pretty delicious. Happy baking!

4. Robyn — September 9, 2013 @ 8:03 pm

Hi, I am not gluten intolerant ( as tests have concluded ) but I do have an intolerance to wheat – so leaving gluten out of my diet seems to have helped me a lot – just wondering – could this recipe be made from just gluten free flour instead of the others flours ?

• Nicole replied: — September 10th, 2013 @ 10:06 am

The flours I’ve used in this recipe are all gluten-free :)

5. Karen — October 6, 2013 @ 6:47 am

Your recipes look so good, but I cannot have oat flour. Any suggestions for a substitute that would still make the breads and muffins turn out?

• sara replied: — October 6th, 2013 @ 7:31 am

I have read somewhere that you can make oat flour with rolled oats and a food processor.
      I haven’t tried it yet but it does make sense, doesn’t it ?

• Nicole replied: — October 7th, 2013 @ 12:01 pm

Karen – You could try substituting with another gluten-free flour like brown rice, or equal parts chickpea and almond meal.

Sara – Yes, you can! I used storebought oat flour but homemade will work too.

6. Kalabrillo — January 13, 2014 @ 8:28 am

nice recipe! by the way, be careful about oat flour and gluten free. oat contains a little amount of gluten and it couldn’t be tolerated by who soffers of coeliac disease.

• Kalabrillo replied: — January 13th, 2014 @ 8:32 am

I may suggest to replace oat with buckwheat flour that is gluten free for sure :) !

• Nicole replied: — January 13th, 2014 @ 9:27 am

Thanks for the suggestion! Oats are naturally gluten-free but are sometimes contaminated during processing. I should note to purchase certified gluten-free oats for those who are sensitive. :)