Smooth mocha chia pudding

Smooth Mocha Chia Pudding | A Dash of Compassion

I’m traveling to Portland next week to join 200 other vegans who are invading the city for the 2nd annual Vida Vegan Con. I can’t even begin to tell you how excited I am to see other fellow bloggers like JL, Gena, Dreena, Hannah, Hannah, Angela, Terry, Isa, Fran, Kate and many others.

When I feel overwhelmed with anticipation of events like this, all I want to do is eat celebration foods—you know the kind you don’t normally indulge in? The kind you eat when you are surrounded by people who make you happy and you feel like your life couldn’t get any better.

But I live by the mantra that you will feel good by eating well, so I decided to create a treat that is good for me but also satisfies my craving for something sweet.

Enter this easy-to-make, creamy pudding. The winning ingredient: chia seeds!

Smooth Mocha Chia Pudding | A Dash of Compassion

Of course, I’m not the first to come up with the idea of chia seed pudding, nor am I the last. Why? Because chia is a pretty amazing ingredient. Besides its incredible nutrition profile, one of the most magical characteristics of chia is how it can act as a thickening agent. When soaked in liquid such as almond milk, the seeds expand and soften, creating a thick, goopy concoction. I tend to use chia mostly as a thickener for smoothies or a vegan egg replacer in baking.

You may be familiar with pudding using whole chia seeds but I’m not a big fan of the texture, so I thought about the idea of grinding the chia and then blending with almond milk and a few other ingredients. The result was a creamy and delicious pudding—no pre-soaking required! I hope you enjoy it as much as I do.

Print Print

Smooth mocha chia pudding

Yield: 1 to 2 servings

1. Grind the chia seeds in a high-speed blender until powdered (make sure the blender container is completely dry first). Add the remaining ingredients and blend until smooth. This may take a couple of minutes. Be sure to stop and scrap down the sides and bottom of the container too, otherwise you might find globs of chia at the bottom!
  2. Transfer the pudding to a container, cover and chill in the fridge for an hour or two before serving.

Recipe inspired by Kiersten's recipe.

27 Responses to “Smooth mocha chia pudding”

1. Andrea — May 18, 2013 @ 8:33 pm

This is perfect timing. I’ve been thinking about chia chocolate pudding for the past several days and have been concocting a recipe in my head almost exactly like yours but minus the espresso. I add chia to my smoothie every day and I love the thick, smooth texture, but I want a chocolate pudding to make into a parfait for a special little five-year-old. Yours looks great!

• Nicole replied: — May 19th, 2013 @ 1:54 pm

Thanks, Andrea! I hope the little one likes it! Making it into a parfait is a fabulous idea :)

2. Ricki — May 18, 2013 @ 11:00 pm

I love blended chia puddings! This looks SO rich and creamy! Sometimes I add coconut milk. .. . totally decadent. Looking forward to seeing you again next week, too! :D

• Nicole replied: — May 19th, 2013 @ 1:55 pm

Oh, coconut milk! I didn’t even think about that. See you soon!

3. Hannah — May 19, 2013 @ 5:20 pm

I am so very, very excited to be your adjoining-room buddy, Nicole. We’re going to have such a time, all of us. :) xo

• Nicole replied: — May 19th, 2013 @ 6:01 pm

Yes! I can’t wait to see you, Hannah! xo

4. Hannah — May 19, 2013 @ 9:20 pm

I happen to love the texture of standard chia pudding, but wouldn’t mind a change of pace that a silky-smooth rendition might bring. It certainly looks luscious.

Can’t wait to see you soon! :)

• Nicole replied: — May 20th, 2013 @ 9:44 pm

Thanks, Hannah! Looking forward to see you too. :)

5. Quincy @ Shugurcän — May 20, 2013 @ 8:56 pm

This looks delicious! Would pre-ground chia seeds work the same?

• Nicole replied: — May 20th, 2013 @ 9:44 pm

Yep! :)

6. Christa @ Edible Balance — May 21, 2013 @ 11:07 am

I have such a big love for chia pudding! It’s one of my absolute favorite breakfasts, I add Sunwarrior protein powder for that extra bit of substance for the morning :)

So jealous of you going to VCC! I desperately wanted to go, but I just came back from the Blend Retreat in Park City and just couldn’t justify another weekend away. Hopefully next year! Have a fabulous time!

• Nicole replied: — May 21st, 2013 @ 1:16 pm

Thank you, Christa! I wish you could join us at VVC too, but hopefully next year!

7. Natalia — July 14, 2013 @ 12:10 am

Looks fantastic. Have it chilling right now for desert later :). Such a healthier alternative to “instant” pudding and just as fast to make.

• Nicole replied: — July 14th, 2013 @ 8:25 pm

Thanks, Natalia! I hope you enjoy the pudding.

8. Janet — November 17, 2013 @ 12:36 pm

Oooooooooo this is just the desert I was going to search for on the web today. I’m glad I visited your blog. I have the chia seeds already ground from the last recipe I made with them and just waiting for something I could use them in plus I’ll get my chocolate fix today too. Thanks.

• Nicole replied: — November 18th, 2013 @ 10:17 am

Sounds like it’s perfect for you! Hope you enjoy the pudding, Janet.

9. Alison — November 19, 2013 @ 7:34 am

Weirdly… I’ve never thought of blending the chia seeds before! Will definitely be trying a version of this soon, I’m still not sold on the texture of standard chia pudding.

Thanks for the inspiration.

• Nicole replied: — November 20th, 2013 @ 4:01 pm

You’re welcome! I’m not a big fan of the texture of standard chia pudding either. I hope you enjoy this recipe as much as I do!

10. Paula — January 4, 2014 @ 9:35 pm

Made this tonight and loved, loved, loved the flavor. Unfortunately the texture was too firm for my “picky” son, although my daughter and I didn’t mind a bit. I will make it again using more coconut milk and hope that it is more creamy than firm. Any other suggestions?

• Nicole replied: — January 6th, 2014 @ 1:09 pm

I’m glad to hear you and your family enjoyed the pudding! Are you using canned coconut milk? That will make it thicker, so I’d suggest using non-dairy milk like almond.

11. aretephora — January 28, 2014 @ 11:14 am

Hi – I just found this delicious looking recipe. If I’m using pre-ground chia seeds, how much should I substitute for the 1/3 cup of whole chia seeds?

• Nicole replied: — January 29th, 2014 @ 7:09 pm

If you’re using pre-ground chia, I would suggest doubling the amount. So, 2/3 cup.

• aretephora replied: — February 4th, 2014 @ 1:54 pm

That’s interesting – doesn’t the ground seed have less volume than the whole seed? So wouldn’t I use less?

12. Patticake — March 9, 2014 @ 9:42 am

Aretephora – Unlike some other things that reduce in volume when ground up, grinding chia seeds fluffs it up to double the original volume. Hope this helps.

13. Kelly — April 8, 2015 @ 5:44 pm

I have this chilling in the fridge now, as well as some in Popsicle molds. I’m excited to see how it turns out. Sadly my vitamix has been sent away for repair, so I had to use my magic bullet. Took some work to blend, but it’s looking good. Thanks for recipe. I have made chia pudding with whole seeds, wasn’t a fan of the texture, and wondered how it would be if I blended the seeds first.

14. doc nutrition Moutoussamy — December 3, 2015 @ 3:27 am

The concept of super food is very old and we can find the ties this concept to the old cultures. Super foods were the part of the daily diet of many warriors and it is believed to improve memory and physical abilities.

15. Nick galicz — November 22, 2016 @ 11:24 am

I use a coffee grinder to grind small seeds. I also use it to grind coconut flakes which I then blend to make coconut milk. Simple and easy and a nice dairy alternative. Love chia pudding. It replaced ice cream and yogurt for me. Dairy free is my goal.