Frappuccino Fridays: Caramel Brulée
Welcome to the second installment of Frappuccino Fridays! If you haven’t yet heard, I’ve teamed up with my culinary soul sister, Lisa, for this new series, which will feature our own veganized versions of Starbucks frappuccinos. We’ll be posting a new homemade frappuccino recipe every Friday all summer long!
Lisa and I will be alternating back and forth each week, so be sure to check back as we recreate all those tempting items on the Starbucks menu. Think Peppermint Mocha, Cinnamon Dolce, Chai Crème and Pumpkin Spice—minus the unidentifiable ingredients and chemical sweeteners.
Last Friday, Lisa shared her version of the Java Chip. Today, I bring you Caramel Brulée. This delectable treat is Starbucks’ most popular blended beverage, and it’s not hard to see why. This frappuccino flavour is bold but easy-drinking. The homemade caramel sauce and sweet Medjool dates lend a distinct buttery sweetness, and the fluffy swirl of coconut whipped cream adds just the right touch of decadence. This drink most definitely shouts “indulge yourself.” Enjoy!
Caramel Brulée frappuccino
Yield: 1 to 2 servings
For the coconut whipped cream:
- 1 (13.5oz) can full-fat coconut milk, refrigerated overnight
- 2 to 3 tsp agave nectar or other sweetener
- seeds from 1 vanilla bean
For the caramel sauce:
- 1/2 cup raw macadamia nuts
- 3 tbsp pure maple syrup
- 3 tbsp agave nectar
- pinch of sea salt
- 1/2 tsp cocoa powder (optional, for colour)
For the frappuccino base:
- 1/2 cup strong coffee, chilled
- 1/2 cup almond milk
- 3 tbsp caramel sauce
- 2 Medjool dates
- 3 ice cubes
- To make the coconut whipped cream, scoop the cream from the top of the can of coconut milk, reserving the water at the bottom of the can for other uses.
- Using a hand mixer or stand mixer with the whisk attachment, whip the coconut cream until smooth and fluffy. Add sweetener and vanilla seeds and continue to whip until incorporated. Refrigerate until ready to use. (This can be made a day ahead, if desired.)
- To make the caramel sauce, blend all ingredients in a high-speed blender until smooth.
- To make the frappuccino, blend all ingredients in a high-speed blender until smooth and frothy.
- To serve, pour the frappuccino in a tall glass, top with coconut whipped cream and a drizzle of remaining caramel sauce.