Roasted eggplant hummus

DSC_9539-2

I have to admit: this hummus recipe has been sitting in my drafts folder for several weeks now. I’m so sorry, dear hummus, but you must have gotten lost in the shuffle!

In any case, I bought these beautiful little eggplants at one of my rare trips to the farmers’ market earlier in the summer and I couldn’t wait to get home and incorporate it into a recipe. And since hummus is almost always on my mind, the purple beauties went straight into a food processor with chickpeas after a quick roast in the oven.

DSC_9517-1

The result? A thick, creamy dip that I’d describe as a cross between baba ghanoush and hummus. I kept the skin on the eggplant for more texture but feel free to peel it before roasting if you prefer a smoother dip. If you’re an eggplant lover, this recipe is for you! Enjoy.

Print Print Save Save

Roasted eggplant hummus

Yield: 2.5 cups

• 6 (550g) baby eggplants
  • 1.5 cups cooked chickpeas
  • 1/4 cup fresh lemon juice
  • 1/4 cup chopped fresh parsley
  • 2 tbsp tahini
  • 2 garlic cloves, peeled
  • 1/2 tsp sea salt
  • 1/4 tsp black pepper
  • 2 tbsp olive oil

1. Preheat the oven to 400F. Slice the eggplant and place on a lightly oiled baking pan. I kept the skin on but if you prefer a smoother hummus, feel free to peel off the skin before slicing.
  2. Lightly spray or brush the slices with oil. Bake for about 25 minutes, flipping over halfway through. Remove from the oven and allow to cool for a few minutes.
  3. In a food processor, process the chickpeas, lemon juice, parsley, tahini, garlic, salt and pepper until smooth.
  4. Add the eggplant and oil and process until desired consistency is achieved.

9 Responses to “Roasted eggplant hummus”

1. Amey — September 13, 2013 @ 1:45 am

Oh man, this is totally my scene. I always feel like the hummus and the BabaG should just get mixed together and then they could rise up even higher. I love this idea. Plus, it is totally eggplant time at the markets around here. Thanks for sharing your recipe!

• Nicole replied: — September 15th, 2013 @ 6:48 pm

It’s like combining the best of both worlds, right? Hope you get a chance to try it with some local eggplant.

2. Emma — September 13, 2013 @ 4:09 am

I went out for Lebanese food the other day and had the most amazing Baba ganoush but we didn’t order hummus! Combining the 2 sounds perfect.

• Nicole replied: — September 15th, 2013 @ 6:50 pm

Lebanese food is so delicious! :)

3. Susmitha - Veganosaurus — September 22, 2013 @ 10:33 am

What a neat idea, combining baba ganoush and hummus! It’s such a pretty colour too. :)

• Nicole replied: — September 23rd, 2013 @ 3:48 pm

Thanks! It’s the best of both worlds, I tell you :)

4. Nusrat Azim — October 9, 2013 @ 9:06 am

That very first glowing, heavenly, full-of-innocence picture of yours drew me here from “Honk if you are a vegan” :)
    It would be my absolute pleasure to follow your vegan, vivacious recipes :)
    Have a rockin’ day, my darling :)

5. Ally — August 20, 2014 @ 9:10 pm

Looks delicious! Just wondering – how many regular sized eggplants would substitute for the 6 baby eggplants?

• Nicole replied: — August 21st, 2014 @ 9:14 am

My guess would be 2 larger ones, but if you want to be precise you could always weigh them to be sure you’ve got 550 grams. I hope you enjoy the recipe!