Coconut peanut butter

DSC_9734-2

When I was growing up, I had a very methodical breakfast routine. It went something like this:

Toast two slices of multigrain bread. Spread on a layer of margarine immediately, so it melted while the toast was still warm. Cover with a thin layer of peanut butter, so it melted against the margarine. Eat, crusts first.

That happened almost every single morning for many years, and if I was feeling adventurous I would add a sliced banana on top.

Now that I’m all grown up and my breakfast habits have changed, that doesn’t mean I don’t miss the smell and taste of peanut butter toast. There was just something about the combination of buttery PB that I loved, and I clearly remember savouring every bite.

DSC_9742-1

Funnily enough, those memories came flooding back when I was in Portland a few weeks ago and came across samples of this coconut and peanut spread by Earth Balance. I carefully opened a sample package and I knew it was a match made in heaven as soon as that creamy spread touched my lips. The coconut oil in this case lent a very rich, buttery addition to an otherwise plain peanut butter.

Already aware that this marvelous creation was not available in Canada, I nabbed a handful of sample packs and was determined to recreate it once I got home.

DSC_9714-2

Friends, please meet my latest nut butter obsession. Made with only four ingredients, this homemade spread combines the tropical, full-bodied flavour of shredded coconut with the popular, all-natural goodness of peanuts. The secret to success is in the type of peanuts you buy—make sure to purchase dry-roasted and unseasoned peanuts (also organic, if possible). I’ve discovered that raw peanuts that have been roasted at home don’t work as well. Also, be sure to allow the shredded coconut enough time to process into a paste before adding the peanuts to your food processor.

Within just a few minutes, you’ll have a creamy spread that is delightful with apple slices, on toast or crackers, or straight-up with a spoon! I’ve also enjoyed adding a tablespoon to my green smoothies, too. Enjoy!

Print Print Save Save

Coconut peanut butter

Yield: 1-1/4 cups

• 1 cup unsweetened shredded coconut
  • 1.5 cups dry roasted and unseasoned peanuts
  • 2 tsp agave nectar
  • 1/4 tsp sea salt

1. Using a food processor, process the coconut until a thick paste forms. This may take several minutes. Occasionally scrape down the sides of the container.
  2. Add the peanuts and continue to process until super smooth. It will thin out considerably and become drippy. This should take about 5 minutes or so.
  3. Add the agave and salt and continue to process until combined and smooth. Transfer the mixture to a mason jar, cover and store in the fridge. The butter will thicken up while refrigerated. Allow it to come back to room temperature before serving if you prefer a thinner spread.

18 Responses to “Coconut peanut butter”

1. Amanda — June 14, 2013 @ 1:54 pm

I have been on a serious sunflower seed butter kick recently (it has turned into a food group, basically), but I think your recipe is going to take its place! So excited to try this!

• Nicole replied: — June 15th, 2013 @ 11:42 am

I’m glad to hear I’m not the only one who gets on these nut/seed butter kicks! Sunflower seed butter is also a favourite of mine. I hope you enjoy this one as much as I do :)

2. Christa @ Edible Balance — June 14, 2013 @ 1:59 pm

yum, this is much better than the store-bought version! I wasn’t too thrilled with the ingredients, plus like you said, it’s not available in Canada anyway :) I think I’d sub in coconut nectar in place of the agave… I’m off nuts and most seeds for the time being but I will have to make this for my hubby. He’ll love it!

• Nicole replied: — June 15th, 2013 @ 11:44 am

Let me know how it works out with the coconut nectar! The flavour is quite different from agave but it should be pretty subtle since you don’t need a lot of it. I hope your hubby loves it!

3. Suzanne — June 14, 2013 @ 7:41 pm

Oh yum! I’m always looking for unique nut butters- this one looks like a winner!

• Nicole replied: — June 15th, 2013 @ 11:45 am

Thanks, Suzanne!

4. Cadry — June 15, 2013 @ 10:18 am

That’s so funny! As a kid, PB & margarine was my favorite spread too. It was the main course in my lunch sack for many years.

Your coconut peanut butter sounds wonderful! I love coconut butter and I love peanut butter. It’s a perfect match. Plus, the ingredients are much better than the ones in those sample packs! :)

• Nicole replied: — June 15th, 2013 @ 11:47 am

I love that you were a fan of the PB and margarine combo too! Yep, I agree that peanut butter and coconut butter are an equally awesome match :)

5. Shannon — June 16, 2013 @ 11:49 am

I love Earth Balance’s coconut peanut butter spread. I’m glad you decided to make it yourself so you wouldn’t miss out!

• Nicole replied: — June 16th, 2013 @ 6:56 pm

Thanks, Shannon! Me too :)

6. oh my… Peanut butter AND coconut?? I never saw this combination before, but what an amazing idea! Have to try this!!
    xox Amy

• Nicole replied: — June 16th, 2013 @ 6:54 pm

I know it seems unusual, but it’s so good! :)

7. Lisa — June 19, 2013 @ 1:33 pm

Mmmmm. I have had this for breakfast the last two mornings !! xo

• Nicole replied: — June 19th, 2013 @ 1:53 pm

Yay! Me, too. I add it to my green smoothies. xo

8. I too have fond memories of peanut butter toast. This looks like a fantastic reinvention of peanut butter. I’m sure it would be great with coconut sugar instead of agave too!

• Nicole replied: — July 16th, 2013 @ 9:12 am

Thanks, Mizpah! Yes, I think coconut sugar would work as a substitute for agave. Enjoy!

9. Hannah — January 23, 2014 @ 12:42 pm

This was so yummy!! I used honey in place of agave (you should definitely read this: http://www.foodrenegade.com/agave-nectar-good-or-bad/) and it turned out beautifully. Thanks for the recipe!

10. Nelda Streich — June 26, 2014 @ 6:08 am

I have just finished up my first jar of organic peanut butter with coconut oil! I can already feel the benefits of the coconut oil for my RA! My joints are not achy all the time and the pain is gradually subsiding. I sometimes eat it with banana or an apple.