Maple cinnamon multi-seed butter

Is it just me, or have flavoured nut butters surpassed the almighty hummus in popularity? Although I would like to think I stay away from most food fads, I suppose this recipe would qualify as trendy. After seeing a continuous stream of flavoured nut butter recipes on so many food blogs, from walnut cacao butter and cake batter cashew butter to pumpkin nut butter and apple cinnamon peanut butter, as well as an influx of new brands on supermarket shelves, I was slowly convinced that it is more than just a condiment, but a totally obsession-worthy, DIY miracle food.

I gave in and made a maple cinnamon almond butter variation a few months ago and I was immediately love struck. There is something so satisfying and wonderful about the combination of almonds, cinnamon and maple syrup.

But don’t let me fool you. As the title above suggests, this is not another nut butter recipe. Instead, I combined a variety of seeds–think pumpkin, sunflower, flax, chia and hemp–slowly roasted with maple syrup and then blended with cinnamon and a touch of vanilla.

Dare I say this is my new favourite? It tastes so sinfully good you may find your fingers a suitable substitute for apple slices. Not that I did that–I’m just sayin’.

Enjoy!

[cft format=0]

15 Responses to “Maple cinnamon multi-seed butter”

1. FOODESSA — October 15, 2012 @ 5:38 am

Dare I say that you’ve completely convinced me to add this to my list of specialty nut butters…the maple syrup sealed the deal ;o) Thanks!

Flavourful wishes,
    Claudia

• Nicole replied: — October 15th, 2012 @ 12:32 pm

Thanks, Claudia! Hope you enjoy it.

2. Gillian Young — October 15, 2012 @ 3:12 pm

This looks amazing — I’ve pinned it!

I tried to make maple almond butter once and found my Vitamix getting hot and not blending as well. I made the huge mistake of pushing my tamper in – which shredded (obviously) and mucked up the whole pricey concoction. Needless to say I’ve been hesitant to try again ever since. Any tips? :)

• Nicole replied: — October 15th, 2012 @ 3:32 pm

Oh, no! Making nut and seed butters does take some practise. Do you own a food processor? I find blending in my food processor much easier. If I want it super smooth, I sometimes transfer the butter to my Blendtec for another round of blending–but only after it has smoothed out in my food processor first. You should give it another try!

• Gillian Young replied: — October 15th, 2012 @ 4:50 pm

I will, with your wonderful guidance, thank you! They’d be great gifts (although sometimes pricey to make!)

• Lucy replied: — October 21st, 2012 @ 11:50 am

Gillian, I make nut butters in my vitamix ALL the time. I use raw nuts and never have to add oil as the nuts have a ton of oil in them (esp when they are uncooked). When using the tamper with the proper container it shouldn’t reach the bottom at all. It has a lip on the lid to protect it from getting shredded. I put about 2-3 cups of nuts and then I put the Vitamix 1/2 way for a min and use the tamper to blend, then I crank it up all the while tamping like crazy to push the nuts down near the blade. If you hear the machine get higher in noise, it usually means nothing is being processed and that is when it overheats (hence the tampering like crazy). But believe me it takes alot to overheat those machines. I make almond, cashew, peanut, with all kinds of added flavors and the beauty of it is that it is fresh, and in it’s pure form with natural oils.
      PS I love that you added flax Nicole that is a great addition.

3. raechel — October 16, 2012 @ 3:27 pm

This sounds amazing! I’m trying to cut back on the amount of nuts I consume, so this is perfect! : )

• Nicole replied: — October 21st, 2012 @ 3:43 pm

Thanks, Raechel! I hope you enjoy it as much as I do :)

4. Hannah — October 23, 2012 @ 10:57 pm

Oh my heaven, Nicole! Flavoured nut butters are my love, my soulmate, my heaven. This looks incredible. A spoon is all I’d need, I think…

• Nicole replied: — October 24th, 2012 @ 12:46 pm

Thanks, Hannah! I finished this batch off with a spoon yesterday :)

5. Tiffany — October 26, 2012 @ 12:23 pm

What a lovely blog you have here! I am glad that I have found it. :) I love nut butter too and it is so easy to make at home. Yours looks great with the seeds too.

• Nicole replied: — October 26th, 2012 @ 5:56 pm

Thanks, Tiffany!

6. Katy — May 20, 2013 @ 12:42 pm

I was wondering if you could use coconut oil instead of canola oil.

• Nicole replied: — May 20th, 2013 @ 1:06 pm

I wouldn’t suggest using coconut oil because it solidifies when refrigerated. But, I’ve made this a few times since without the oil. You’ll just need to process it for a bit longer to get it smooth. Enjoy!

Trackbacks/Pingbacks