Raw macaroon sandwiches

In the spirit of easy, no-bake summer treats, this raw macaroon recipe is made simply by dehydrating a mixture of dried coconut, dates, agave nectar and coconut butter, along with whatever flavourings you prefer. Here, I made use of my husband’s favourite spiced tea and some vanilla powder to create light and chewy vanilla-spice macaroons.They’re pretty amazing on their own, but why not kick it up a notch? It’s just a matter of blending a few key ingredients into a smooth cacao cream, then sandwiching it between two macaroons and, voilà, you’re in raw dessert heaven.

Can you tell I’m still dreaming about sandwich cookies?

Print Print

Raw vanilla-spice macaroons

Yield: 6 sandwiches

For the macaroons:

• 2 cups unsweetened coconut flakes
    • 2 tsp ground spiced tea (I used 2 bags of bengal spice)
    • 1/2 tsp vanilla bean powder

• 3 tbsp raw agave nectar
  • 1/2 tbsp cacao powder
  • 1/4 tsp vanilla bean powder
  • 1/4 tsp ground cinnamon
  • pinch of sea salt

For the cookies:

1. In a food processor, process the coconut flakes, ground tea, vanilla bean powder and salt until combined.
    2. Add the remaining ingredients and process for a minute or two until well combined. The mixture should stick together when pressed between two fingers. If it seems too dry, add more water.
    3. Using a cookie scoop or tablespoon, scoop the dough onto a dehydrator tray and gently flatten with the bottom of a glass (you should get 12 small cookies). Dehydrate the macaroons at 105 degrees for about 6 hours or until desired texture is achieved. They should be crisp on the outside but still chewy on the inside.
    4. Spread a small amount of the filling (recipe below) on half of the cookies and press another plain cookie on top to form a macaroon cookie sandwich.

For the cacao cream filling:

1. Blend all ingredients in a high-speed blender until smooth.

14 Responses to “Raw macaroon sandwiches”

1. VeganLisa — July 19, 2011 @ 1:18 am

They almost as pretty as the french confections I always see in images of Paris cafe. I bet you could have fun colouring the basic macaroon recipe and creating a million variations.

2. Pure2raw twins — July 19, 2011 @ 2:05 am

Beautiful! We have made French style macaroons before, so good! Got to love coconut

3. Jenné @ Sweet Potato Soul — July 20, 2011 @ 6:13 am

These look fantastic. I love how you used spiced tea in the macaroons; what a nice touch. I want one now!

4. Callie {Rawxy} — July 20, 2011 @ 11:27 pm

I love this simple twist – just perfect!

5. andrea devon — July 21, 2011 @ 5:55 pm

I LOVE these…. so cute and I really like the use of ground up tea. I use brewed tea in everything, but i didn't think to grind it and use as a spice. nice!

6. bitt — July 23, 2011 @ 5:26 am

adorable!!! looks a lot like the ones in raw dessert, i've been wanting to make those. yum.

7. Hannah — July 25, 2011 @ 11:16 pm

I've seen so many variations on raw macaroons, but never a macaroon sandwich! I especially love that you can really see the vanilla bean seeds throughout, too. I'm sure they're downright dreamy!

8. Carla — December 4, 2011 @ 5:43 am

Hi,

Just wondering what you mean by coconut butter? Is that coconut oil or the chocolate coconut butter (http://www.raw-chocolate.net/products/20/raw-organic-coconut-chocolate-butter) we have here in australia?

• Nicole replied: — December 4th, 2011 @ 11:17 am

It’s neither, unfortunately. Coconut butter is the cream and oil from coconuts (whereas coconut oil is just that–the oil). You can find it on Amazon, which I believe ships to Australia: http://www.amazon.com/Artisana-100%25-Organic-Coconut-Butter/dp/B000WV153I/ref=sr_1_1?s=grocery&ie=UTF8&qid=1323015193&sr=1-1

9. Lola — January 3, 2012 @ 5:19 am

These are prefect, especially since I’m a brand new vegan and love cookies. Macarons are one of my all time favorites, but I’ll only be eating vegan versions from now on. I can just imagine vegan green tea macarons now, made with matcha powder. Thanks for such a great idea.

• Nicole replied: — January 3rd, 2012 @ 12:41 pm

Welcome to the vegan club, Lola! I’m so glad I’ve inspired your vegan macaroon adventures.

10. Marika — May 22, 2012 @ 8:35 pm

I saw these on your front page and just about died. Want. WANT.

• Nicole replied: — May 23rd, 2012 @ 12:23 pm