Raw macaroon sandwiches

In the spirit of easy, no-bake summer treats, this raw macaroon recipe is made simply by dehydrating a mixture of dried coconut, dates, agave nectar and coconut butter, along with whatever flavourings you prefer. Here, I made use of my husband’s favourite spiced tea and some vanilla powder to create light and chewy vanilla-spice macaroons.They’re pretty amazing on their own, but why not kick it up a notch? It’s just a matter of blending a few key ingredients into a smooth cacao cream, then sandwiching it between two macaroons and, voilà, you’re in raw dessert heaven.

Can you tell I’m still dreaming about sandwich cookies?

Print Print Save Save

Raw vanilla-spice macaroons

Yield: 6 sandwiches

For the macaroons:

• 2 cups unsweetened coconut flakes
    • 2 tsp ground spiced tea (I used 2 bags of bengal spice)
    • 1/2 tsp vanilla bean powder

• 3 tbsp raw agave nectar
  • 1/2 tbsp cacao powder
  • 1/4 tsp vanilla bean powder
  • 1/4 tsp ground cinnamon
  • pinch of sea salt

For the cookies:

1. In a food processor, process the coconut flakes, ground tea, vanilla bean powder and salt until combined.
    2. Add the remaining ingredients and process for a minute or two until well combined. The mixture should stick together when pressed between two fingers. If it seems too dry, add more water.
    3. Using a cookie scoop or tablespoon, scoop the dough onto a dehydrator tray and gently flatten with the bottom of a glass (you should get 12 small cookies). Dehydrate the macaroons at 105 degrees for about 6 hours or until desired texture is achieved. They should be crisp on the outside but still chewy on the inside.
    4. Spread a small amount of the filling (recipe below) on half of the cookies and press another plain cookie on top to form a macaroon cookie sandwich.

For the cacao cream filling:

1. Blend all ingredients in a high-speed blender until smooth.

14 Responses to “Raw macaroon sandwiches”

1. VeganLisa — July 19, 2011 @ 1:18 am

They almost as pretty as the french confections I always see in images of Paris cafe. I bet you could have fun colouring the basic macaroon recipe and creating a million variations.

2. Pure2raw twins — July 19, 2011 @ 2:05 am

Beautiful! We have made French style macaroons before, so good!

Got to love coconut

3. Jenné @ Sweet Potato Soul — July 20, 2011 @ 6:13 am

These look fantastic. I love how you used spiced tea in the macaroons; what a nice touch. I want one now!

4. Callie {Rawxy} — July 20, 2011 @ 11:27 pm

I love this simple twist – just perfect!

5. andrea devon — July 21, 2011 @ 5:55 pm

I LOVE these…. so cute and I really like the use of ground up tea. I use brewed tea in everything, but i didn't think to grind it and use as a spice. nice!

6. bitt — July 23, 2011 @ 5:26 am

adorable!!! looks a lot like the ones in raw dessert, i've been wanting to make those. yum.

7. Hannah — July 25, 2011 @ 11:16 pm

I've seen so many variations on raw macaroons, but never a macaroon sandwich! I especially love that you can really see the vanilla bean seeds throughout, too. I'm sure they're downright dreamy!

8. Carla — December 4, 2011 @ 5:43 am

Hi,

Just wondering what you mean by coconut butter? Is that coconut oil or the chocolate coconut butter (http://www.raw-chocolate.net/products/20/raw-organic-coconut-chocolate-butter) we have here in australia?

9. Lola — January 3, 2012 @ 5:19 am

These are prefect, especially since I’m a brand new vegan and love cookies. Macarons are one of my all time favorites, but I’ll only be eating vegan versions from now on. I can just imagine vegan green tea macarons now, made with matcha powder. Thanks for such a great idea.

• Nicole replied: — January 3rd, 2012 @ 12:41 pm

Welcome to the vegan club, Lola! I’m so glad I’ve inspired your vegan macaroon adventures.

10. Marika — May 22, 2012 @ 8:35 pm

I saw these on your front page and just about died. Want. WANT.

• Nicole replied: — May 23rd, 2012 @ 12:23 pm