Raw coconut brownies

When it comes to desserts, rich and decadent doesn’t have to mean unhealthy, at least not in the raw food world. While they are not nearly fat-free, desserts in the raw contain a number of benefits that most baked desserts don’t–one of the most important being that raw food ingredients are minimally processed and in their natural, nutrient-rich state. They are ideal for anyone looking for healthier dessert choices without refined sugars, or for people with special dietary needs, such as allergies to dairy or gluten.

Many raw desserts share similar building blocks: succulent dried fruit (usually dates); ground nuts (usually almonds, cashews and walnuts); a dash of sweetener (usually raw agave nectar); coconut meat, oil or butter; and sometimes a tablespoon or two of cacao powder. Delicious miracles occur when these ingredients are blended, soaked, strained, dehydrated or whipped into delicious pies, cakes, cookies or tarts. A food processor makes putting together raw desserts a cinch (I couldn’t imagine life without one!) and chilling the desserts is a must to help them hold their shape.

Raw Coconut Brownies | A Dash of Compassion

My latest raw treat has become one of my all-time favourites: a rich, fudgy brownie that will definitely delight your taste buds. It will likely convince even the most die-hard dessert lover that raw treats can be just as indulgent and decadent as any sugar-laden baked brownie. These raw brownies are dense and chewy just like real brownies, with a top layer that is a thick, silky, chocolate heaven with a hint of coconut. These freeze well, so feel free to make them ahead of time and store them in the freezer until ready to serve.

Print Print

For the top layer:

• 1/2 cup coconut butter
  • 1/4 cup raw agave nectar
  • 2 tbsp raw cacao powder
  • 2 tbsp shredded coconut, for garnish

For the brownie layer:

1. In a food processor, grind the almonds and walnuts to a meal, being careful not to overprocess or the nuts will become oily.
    2. Add the dates and pulse until the mixture is combined and crumbly.
    3. Add the cacao powder, vanilla extract and sea salt and pulse to combine. The mixture should stick together when pressed between two fingers.
    4. Press the brownie mixture into the bottom of a 9 x 5-inch loaf pan (or small square pan) and set aside.

For the top layer:

1. In a food processor, process the coconut butter and agave nectar until smooth.
  2. Add the cacao powder and pulse to combine.
  3. Spoon the mixture onto the brownie base and smooth out with the back of a spoon. Sprinkle with shredded coconut.
  4. Cover the pan with tin foil and place in the freezer for about 30 minutes until set. Cut into squares and serve, or store in the freezer for up to one month.

16 Responses to “Raw coconut brownies”

1. muffinegg — October 15, 2010 @ 1:55 pm

I actually have everything I'd need to make these! I'm usually kind of intimidated my raw food recipes, especially desserts. They seem to call for exotic ingredients that I don't have. What a delicious sounding alternative brownie! They sound even better than the traditional type to me!

2. Nicole — October 15, 2010 @ 4:56 pm

muffinegg: Don't be intimidated by these! They are so easy, and sooo delicious! The main thing is to make sure you don't overprocess the ingredients. Enjoy!

3. ahealthyendeavor — October 19, 2010 @ 2:23 am

I just made these – wonderful! I am definitely a brownie person and these satisfied all my goey, chocolate cravings! Thanks so much!

4. Nicole — October 19, 2010 @ 3:22 pm

ahealthyendeavor: I'm so glad you liked them!! :)

5. KatieIsRunningCrazy — October 21, 2010 @ 2:00 am

Made these the other night, and they turned out better than other raw desserts ive made in the past. Others were way too sweet, hurting my teeth, but these were just right. They even tasted great! My only qualm: how did you get them like the photo! Mine were in an 8×8 pan, and they werent anywhere near as thick as yours in the picture. Still amazing though! My only change was I used all almonds, i was out of walnuts.

6. Nicole — October 21, 2010 @ 2:24 am

KatieIsRunningCrazy: I'm so glad you enjoyed these raw treats! I like them because you can eat one right out of the freezer :)As for the thickness factor, I made mine in a 9 x 5-inch loaf pan (as per the instructions) so you should get 8 thick brownies out of the recipe.

7. Lauren Toyota — November 1, 2010 @ 6:27 pm

These look amazing. I can't wait to make them. BUT, I don't know what coconut butter is? Coconut oil??

8. Nicole — November 1, 2010 @ 7:33 pm

Lauren: Coconut butter is different from coconut oil in that it includes both the oil and the meat of the coconut. I use Artisana brand.Thanks for checking out my blog!

9. Marly — November 16, 2010 @ 12:20 pm

I'm looking forward to trying this recipe. Looks delicious!

10. bodybynature.ca — March 19, 2011 @ 1:38 am

I just made these and they turned out amazing. Maybe one of the best desserts I have ever had!

11. Nicole — March 19, 2011 @ 1:56 pm

bodybynature.ca: Best compliment ever. Thank you!

12. Carol — July 9, 2012 @ 9:56 pm

Thank you for sharing all of your wonderful recipes, Nicole. I’ve made your “Choc Vegan Donut Holes” several times. Mmmmmmm. And, now I must say the same for these brownies that I made today….. Mmmmmmmmmm!! Just wonderful! Thanks again! :)

• Nicole — July 10, 2012 @ 1:52 pm

Thanks for your feedback, Carol. I’m so glad you’re enjoying the recipes!

13. Rhiannon — December 7, 2012 @ 1:55 am

Mmm – these look good. I was on the hunt for some recipes to try out for the holidays, and I definitely wanna give this a go. Do you think I could sub almonds with another nut, like more walnuts or pecans? And maybe maple syrup instead of agave?

• Nicole — December 9, 2012 @ 6:23 pm

Thanks, Rhiannon! Yes, those substitutions should work just fine. Keep in mind that walnuts and pecans have a higher fat content so take care in step #1 that they don’t turn into a nut butter when processing them into a meal. Hope you enjoy these!